Households who receive SNAP who lost or disposed of food that was unsafe to eat due to these events can request that replacement benefits be issued for the cost of the lost food.

Oregon households have until Feb. 16 to replace food benefits destroyed due to power outages

News Release from Oregon Dept. of Human Services

Need to know:

  • If you had to throw away food purchased with SNAP due to the recent winter storms or power outages, you can request to replace those SNAP benefits to purchase new food.
  • The federal government has allowed Oregon to increase the number of counties eligible for the extended deadline.
  • Residents of 27 counties (Benton, Clackamas, Clatsop, Columbia, Coos, Crook, Deschutes, Douglas, Gilliam, Hood River, Jackson, Jefferson, Josephine, Klamath, Lane, Lincoln, Linn, Marion, Morrow, Multnomah, Polk, Sherman, Tillamook, Umatilla, Wasco, Washington and Yamhill) can now request replacement benefits until Feb. 16.
  • Residents of the other nine counties can request replacements within 10 days of the date food was destroyed.

SALEM – Oregonians who lost food purchased with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits due to the recent winter storms and power outages are encouraged to request replacement benefits from the Oregon Department of Human Services (ODHS).

Households who receive SNAP and live in the following counties have until Feb. 16 to request replacement SNAP benefits for food that was spoiled or destroyed due to winter storms and power outages:

  • Benton
  • Clackamas
  • Clatsop
  • Columbia
  • Coos
  • Crook
  • Deschutes
  • Douglas
  • Gilliam
  • Hood River
  • Jackson
  • Jefferson
  • Josephine
  • Klamath
  • Lane
  • Lincoln
  • Linn
  • Marion
  • Morrow
  • Multnomah
  • Polk
  • Sherman
  • Tillamook
  • Umatilla
  • Wasco
  • Washington
  • Yamhill

Households who live outside of these counties must request replacement benefits within 10 days of the loss per the normal process.

Households who disposed of food bought with SNAP benefits that was destroyed due to these events can request that replacement benefits be issued for the cost of the lost food. The maximum amount of SNAP that can be replaced is the value of the food up to the normal monthly benefit for the household.

Households should be prepared to provide a list of the lost food, the cost to replace it, and may have to provide proof of the event that destroyed the food.

Replacement benefits must be requested by the deadline by:

Detailed instructions and the request form can be found online at  

Once approved, replacement benefits are added to the households’ existing Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card.

Resources to help meet basic needs

  • Find a food pantry:
  • Learn about government programs and community resources for older adults and people with disabilities: Aging and Disability Resource Connection of Oregon at 1-855-673-2372 or
  • Dial 2-1-1, or text your zip code to 898-211,