PENDLETON – The National Weather Service in Pendleton has issued a wind chill watch that remains in effect through Saturday morning, but the winter weather advisory and winter storm watch has been cancelled.
For the Winter Weather Advisory, snow amounts are no longer expected to reach advisory amounts. However, there may still be 1 to 2 inches in southern areas along the base of the Blue Mountains, such as in Pilot Rock. For the Wind Chill Watch, dangerously cold wind chills possible. Wind chills may drop as low as -15.
For the Winter Storm Watch, heavy snow is no longer expected as the weather system bringing that snow is now expected to track too far to the south.
* WHERE…Foothills of the Northern Blue Mountains of Oregon.
* WHEN…From this afternoon through Saturday morning.
* IMPACTS…The cold wind chills could cause frostbite on exposed
skin in as little as 30 minutes.
Due to inclement weather and road conditions on Friday 1/12, the following area school districts are affected:
Helix School District – CLOSED
La Grande School District – 2-HOUR DELAY
Milton-Freewater Unified School District – CLOSED
Pendleton School District – 2-HOUR DELAY
1136 AM PST Thu Jan 11 2024
The following message is transmitted at the request of the Wallowa
Avalanche Center in Joseph, Oregon.
The Wallowa Avalanche Center in La Grande has issued a backcountry
* TIMING…In effect from Thursday January 11 at 7 AM PST to Friday
January 12 at 7 AM PST.
* AFFECTED AREA…This warning is in effect for the Blue Mountains.
* AVALANCHE DANGER…Very dangerous avalanche conditions exist.
Natural avalanches are likely and human-triggered avalanches are
* PRECAUTIONARY / PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS…Very dangerous avalanche
conditions. Travel in avalanche terrain is not recommended.
Avalanches may run long distances and can run into mature forests,
valley floors, or flat terrain.
For specific information on the reasoning behind this warning or
for information on recent avalanche activity, please refer to the
Wallowa Avalanche Center website at: WWW.WALLOWAAVALANCHECENTER.ORG.
You may also visit WWW.AVALANCHE.ORG for the latest avalanche