CUJ Logo

Register by June 2 for FEMA flood assistance

SALEM, Oregon – Residents of the Umatilla Indian Reservation who sustained damage or loss due to the February storms and flooding have until June 2 to register for disaster assistance with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

Individuals or families from across Umatilla County, including the Reservation, who had property damage or loss as a result of the Umatilla River flooding event that occurred February 5 -9, 2020, may qualify for FEMA assistance. By law, FEMA assistance cannot duplicate the assistance received from insurance companies; however, assistance may be received for uninsured or underinsured items.

How can disaster assistance be accessed?

  • By phone: 1-800-621-FEMA (3362)
  • The TTY number is 1-800-462-7585
  • For 711 or Video Relay Service, call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362)
  • Online:
  • Use FEMA’s disaster app on a smartphone. To download the app, go to
  • SBA offers federal low-interest disaster loans to businesses of all sizes, most private nonprofit organizations, homeowners and renters.
  • Information about how to apply for low-interest SBA loans for businesses and residents is available online at People may also call 1-800-659-2955 or email Hearing impaired individuals may call 800-877-8339.

How to Submit Documents:

After registering with FEMA to receive assistance, important documents such as an insurance denial or settlement letter, proof of ownership of the damaged property, or receipts and/or estimates for repair work that has already been done or still needs to be done will need to be provided. There are three options to do this:

  1. Set up a Disaster Assistance account at and upload documents electronically. If assistance is needed in setting up an account, a FEMA representative can guide applicants through the process over the phone.
  2. Fax documents to: 1-800-827-8112. Include your FEMA registration number on all pages included in the fax.
  3. Mail documents to: FEMA, P.O. Box 10055, Hyattsville, MD, 20782-8055. Please include your FEMA registration number on all pages included in the envelope.

Accommodating Survivors:

FEMA has made it a priority to reach everyone who needs help – including people with disabilities, older adults, and people who do not speak English. If a disability accommodation is needed, extra assistance processing paperwork, or are unclear about what happens next, notify FEMA staff at the time of registration or anytime throughout the assistance process.

Things people may not know:

  • Even if repairs have already been made, assistance may still be available from FEMA.
  • If applicants have flood insurance, they still may be eligible for items that aren’t insurable (wells, septic systems, private roads and bridges).
  • If referred to the SBA, people should complete a loan application – even if they don’t want a loan. If offered a loan, there is no obligation to take it, but if declined for a loan, a referral back to FEMA may be made for additional assistance.

For further information, visit; Oregon Office of Emergency Management (Facebook, Twitter); and Umatilla County Emergency Management (Facebook).

The U.S. Small Business Administration is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property.

SBA helps businesses of all sizes, private nonprofit organizations, homeowners and renters fund repairs or rebuilding efforts and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. For more information, applicants may contact SBA’s Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955. TTY users may also call 800-877-8339. Applicants may also email or visit SBA at